Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes Total: 30 minutes
3 cups part skim low moisture shredded mozzarella cheese
2 oz of cream cheese
3 large eggs (set one egg aside for egg wash)
2 cups superfine almond flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp coarse salt
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together almond flour and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, add mozzarella and cream cheese to a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover the cream cheese with mozzarella so that it is not exposed in the microwave. Melt cheeses in the microwave at full power in 30 second intervals. Stir after each 30 seconds and continue cooking until cheeses are completely melted and form a uniform cheese dough for about 2-2 ½ minutes total.
4. Add cheese, 2 eggs, and almond flour mixture into a food processor or with an electric mixer. Pulse on high speed until the dough is uniform. The dough will be quite sticky, which is normal.
5. Wrap your pastry board with plastic wrap. Lightly coat your hands with oil and divide dough into equal parts. Roll each dough into ropes about 1 inch thick.
6. Using a sharp knife, slice dough into 3/4 inch wide pieces. You should have enough dough for approximately 63 bites. Place onto prepared baking sheet.
7. Add the final egg to a bowl and whisk. Brush surface of pretzel bites with egg wash. Sprinkle tops of pretzels with coarse salt.
8. Bake pretzels for about 12 minutes in the middle rack of your oven, or until pretzels are a light golden brown. Set your oven to a low broil and cook for about 2 minutes. This will crisp up the exterior of the pretzel slightly, so that it resembles a soft pretzel crust.
9. Let cool and enjoy with a cheesy dipping sauce!